Doctor of Political Science, Professor of Hennadii Udovenko Diplomatic Academy of Ukraine, Merited Figure of Science and Technology of Ukraine
Ph.D. in History, Associate Professor of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Merited Figure of Education of Ukraine
Abstract. The article deals with frameworks for studying diplomacy in the leading foreign countries, namely the United States and the United Kingdom. The methods of determining educational disciplines for mastering the principles of diplomatic work are explored. At the same time, as an example, attention is attached to the experience of the Diplomatic Academy of Ukraine at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine in the preparation of diplomatic staff for Ukraine.
The article is dedicated to institutional and human resource issues and stages of establishment of the US diplomatic service, including the current rotation model and advanced training system. The need for drastic changes in the system of foreign policy institutions and the advisability of reforming the US diplomatic service came to the forefront of American political and academic discourse in the mid-1990s. The events of September 11, 2001 served as a catalyst for rejuvenating the preparation and advanced training model as well as the personnel management model in the US foreign policy and made the topic discussed increasingly relevant. Historically, the US diplomatic service has been relatively small but the most competent, qualified and efficient part of the US foreign policy mechanism. It is the experience of the United States which is valuable and helpful for post-Soviet countries with respect to the use of the US experience, given its established traditions and prompt response to emerging threats and challenges of the globalized world of the 21st century in the context of the ongoing reform of the diplomatic service in Ukraine. The article covers the urgent issue of renovating the diplomatic training model in Ukraine based on the analysis of experience of its US counterpart. The US experience is important and useful for Ukraine in the context of government service reforms as well as for other post-Soviet countries within the framework of integration processes and globalization.
Keywords: diplomatic training system, UK diplomatic service, US diplomatic service, foreign policy, diplomacy, diplomatic institutions, institutionalization, Ukraine.
1. Tsivatyi, V. (2017). National Security as a Component of Global Security: Lessons from Ukraine’s Crises. Eastern Europe Regional Studies, no. 2(4), pp. 196-209. [in English]
2. Сhekalenko, L., Tsivatyi, V. (2018). The History of Memory or Memory of History: The Question of Studying. Evropský politický a právní diskurz (European political and law discourse), vol. 5(6), pp. 182-186. [in English]
3. Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s new Diplomatic Academy [online]. Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/opening-of-new-diplomatic-academу [in English]
4. Diplomatic_Academy [online]. Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment _data/file/402469/Diplomatic_Academy_launch_brochure_Jan_2015_FINAL.pdf; [in English]
5. Foreign Service Institute. Ofitsiinyi sait [online]. Available at: https://www.state.gov/m/fsi [in English]
6. Foreign Service Institute [online]. Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Service_Institute [in English]
7. Dyplomatychnyi slovnyk [online]. Available at: https://diplomacy.state.gov/discoverdiplomacy/references/169792.htm [in Ukrainian]
8. Education & Exchanges [online]. Available at: https://eca.state.gov/programs-initiatives/youth-programs; Support for American Jobs – Parts I & II [online]. – Режим доступу: http://www.uscib.org/uscib-content/uploads/2017/07/Support-For-American-Jobs-II.pdf [in English]
9. Tsivatyi, V. (2014). ‘Suchasna dyplomatychna sluzhba SShA: tradytsii, innovatsii ta instytutsii’. Spolucheni Shtaty Ameryky u suchasnomu sviti: polityka, ekonomika, pravo: zb. materialiv Mizhnarodnoi naukovo-praktychnoi konferentsii [collection of proceedings of the International scientific and practical conference]. Lviv: DPI, pp. 117-121. [in Ukrainian]
10. Sait Derzhavnoho Departamentu SShA [online]. Available at: http://careers.state.gov/officer/index.html [in Ukrainian]
11. Pigman, G. (2010). Contemporary Diplomacy. Washington, 288 p. [in English]
12. Reshaping Defence Diplomacy (2004). London, 120 p. [in English]