Doctor of History, Full Professor, Chief of the Department of Public Management and International Relations, National Pedagogical Drahomanov University, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary
Abstract. The article highlights the political and socio-economic consequences of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic. The factors of transformation of the international order in the conditions of the world pandemic are analysed. It has been shown that pandemics are an invisible enemy, which consolidates efforts of the entire world community. The coro¬navirus pandemic will undoubtedly affect the balance of power in the world and will have a major impact on the global economic development.
It is obvious that globalisation will continue to evolve, both ideologically and practical¬ly. The formation of new connections among people and countries can hardly be stopped completely. However, the forms of globalisation will undoubtedly change. The international community should seek for a new balance between the challenges of national and global development. Besides, it is important for Ukraine, as well as all other countries of the world, not to lose pace in these efforts. The COVID-19 pandemic will contribute to the further virtualisation of all spheres of human life. The fields of trade, education, medicine, and en¬tertainment may finally move to the Internet. Finally, the governments of many countries are likely to develop measures to restore or expand national production in strategically important areas, including food and medical industries. The policy of supporting internal markets is once again reclaiming its popularity.
The crisis surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic has come as a surprise and a challenge to the entire global community and the international system, which find themselves in a state of simultaneous fragmentation and integration. Geopolitical uncertainty, populism, nationalism, and protectionism have already had a negative impact on the economy, and the coronavirus pandemic has only exacerbated these trends. Their growth could lead to the destruction of transport and production links and put an end to globalisation in its current form.
Keywords: pandemic, coronavirus COVID-19, transformation, international order, glo¬balisation, world economy.
1. Nye, J. JR. (2020). ‘No, the Coronavirus Will Not Change the Global Order’, Foreign Policy, 16 April [online]. Available at: https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/16/coronavirus-pandemic-china-united-states-power-competition/ [in English]
2. Cooley, A., Nexon, D.H. (2020). ‘How Hegemony Ends. The Unraveling of American Power’, Foreign Affairs, July/August [online]. Available at: https://inosmi.ru/politic/20200630/247682344.html [in English]
3. Kissendzher, G. (2020). ‘Pandemiya koronavirusa navsegda izmenit mirovoy poryadok’, STOPKOR, 12 April [online]. Available at: https://stopcor.org/genry-kyssyndzher-pandemyya-koronavyrusa-navsegda-yzmenyt-myrovoj-poryadok/ [in Russian]
4. Kadomtsev, A. (2020). ‘Novyy mirovoy poryadok ili perezhivet li globalizatsiya pandemiyu koronavirusa?’, Mezhdunarodnaya zhizn, 13 March [online]. Available at: https://interaffairs.ru/news/show/25646 [in Russian]
5. Imad, J. (2020). ‘Coronavirus et chute des marchés financiers: l’Europe est-elle condamnée à l’impuissance? ’, Figaro Vox, 9 March [online]. Available at: https://www.inopressa.ru/article/10Mar2020/lefigaro/crisis.html [in French]
6. Schieritz, M. (2020). ‘Covid-19: Keine Frage, das wird teuer’, Zeit online, 20 March [online]. Available at: https://www.zeit.de/zustimmung?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.zeit.de%2Fwirtschaft%2F2020-03%2Fcorona-covid-19-deutschland-wirtschaft-konjunktur-prognose-5vor8
7. Maniatis, G. A. (2020). ‘Don’t Scapegoat Migrants for the Pandemic’, Project Syndicate, 8 July [online]. Available at: https://inosmi.ru/social/20200711/247741397.html [in English]
8. Picheta, R. (2020). ‘WHO chief blasts “lack of leadership” and calls for global unity as coronavirus cases mount worldwide’, CNN World, 10 July [online]. Available at: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/10/world/who-tedros-adhanom-unity-plea-intl-scli/index.html [in English]
9. Rogoff, K. (2020). ‘Will Universities Learn from Lockdowns?’, Project Syndicate, 6 July [online]. Available at: https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/will-covid19-trigger-technological-disruption-of-higher-education-by-kenneth-rogoff-2020-07 [in English]