Doctor of Political Science, Full Professor, Director of the Foreign Policy Research Institute, Department of International Relations and Foreign Policy, Educational and Scientific Institute of International Relations, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv
Second Secretary for Consular Issues, Embassy of Ukraine in the Kingdom of Norway, Postgraduate student of the Department of International Regional Studies, Educational and Scientific Institute of International Relations, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv
Abstract. The Middle Eastern countries did not join the Western-led condemnation of russia’s aggression against Ukraine and refused to join efforts to isolate the russian federation economically. The article examines the impact of the russian-Ukrainian war on the Persian Gulf states. The stance of the Arab states regarding the ongoing conflict and the level of cooperation with its parties are highlighted. The reasons for hedging the policy of the Persian Gulf states to closer cooperation with russia and the People’s Republic of China with the simultaneous weakening of the US position are given. The authors argue that the war of russia against Ukraine may serve as a bifurcation point for the American Middle East policy. It would manifest in a tipping point when the US government shall decide that weapons cannot be sold to the Arab autocracies in cases where it would demean American values, such as the support for human rights.
The consequences of the war between russia and Ukraine for the Arab monarchies and food security in the Middle East region, as well as the rise in oil prices in the world, are analysed. The Arab countries are concerned that the war has jeopardised the uninterrupted supply of agricultural products to international markets, provoking a significant jump in product prices, which in the long run may lead to unforeseen consequences. The analysis of stances of the Persian Gulf states on russian aggression is stipulated by the complexity of the geopolitical situation in the Middle East, the level of reception of russian propaganda and the value orientation of countries in the region.
Keywords: Ukraine, the Persian Gulf, the UAE, Saudi Arabia, the Middle East, russia’s aggression against Ukraine, humanitarian aid, US policy in the Middle East.
1. Ulrichsen, K. S. (2022). ‘The GCC and the Russia-Ukraine Crisis’, Arab Center Washington DC, 22 March [online]. Available at: https://arabcenterdc.org/resource/the-gcc-and-the-russia-ukraine-crisis/ [in English].
2. Wehrey, F. (2022). ‘The Impact of Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine in the Middle East and North Africa’, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, 19 May [online]. Available at: https://carnegieendowment.org/2022/05/19/impact-of-russia-s-invasion-of-ukraine-in-middle-east-and-north-africa-pub-87163 [in English].
3. ‘UAE votes in favour of UN General Assembly Resolution on Ukraine’ (2022). Gulf News, 4 March, [online]. Available at: https://gulfnews.com/uae/uae-votes-in-favour-of-un-general-assembly-resolution-on-ukraine-1.86184621 [in English].
4. Guzansky, Y. (2022). ‘The War in Ukraine and Strategic Hedging by Arab Countries’, The Institute for National Security Studies, 21 March [online]. Available at: https://www.inss.org.il/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/no.-1575.pdf [in English].
5. Deknatel, F. (2022). ‘The Ukraine War’s Impacts in the Middle East: A Democracy in Exile Roundtable’, Democracy for the Arab World Now, 6 April [online]. Available at: https://dawnmena.org/the-ukraine-wars-impacts-in-the-middle-east-a-democracy-in-exile-roundtable/ [in English].
6. Macaron, J. (2022). ‘How does Russia’s invasion of Ukraine impact the Middle East?’, Al Jazeera, 17 March [online]. Available at: https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2022/3/17/how-does-russias-invasion-of-ukraine-impact-the-middle-east [in English].
7. Hiltermann, J. et al (2022). ‘The Impact of Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine in the Middle East and North Africa’, The International Crisis Group, 6 April [online]. Available at: https://www.crisisgroup.org/middle-east-north-africa/impact-russias-invasion-ukraine-middle-east-and-north-africa#gulf [in English].
8. Welsh, C. (2022). ‘The Impact of Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine in the Middle East and North Africa’, The Center for Strategic and International Studies, 18 May [online]. Available at: https://www.csis.org/analysis/impact-russias-invasion-ukraine-middle-east-and-north-africa [in English].
9. Kammer, A. et al (2022). ‘How War in Ukraine Is Reverberating Across World’s Regions’, International Monetary Fund, 15 March [online]. Available at: https://blogs.imf.org/2022/03/15/how-war-in-ukraine-is-reverberating-across-worlds-regions/ [in English].
10. Timofte, C. (2022). ‘Between a Rock and a Hard Place: The UAE and Saudi Arabia Face the Pressure over Ukraine War’, Institute of New Europe, 27 June [online]. Available at: https://ine.org.pl/en/between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place-the-uae-and-saudi-arabia-face-the-pressure-over-ukraine-war/ [in English].
11. ‘UAE to order L15 planes from China as it diversifies suppliers’ (2022). Al Jazeera, 23 February [online]. Available at: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/23/uae-to-order-12-l-15-planes-from-china-as-it-diversify-suppliers [in English].
12. Narayan, A. (2022). ‘UAE sends 27 tons of food, medical aid to Ukraine refugees in Poland’, Al Arabiya, 18 June [online]. Available at: https://english.alarabiya.net/News/gulf/2022/06/18/UAE-sends-27-tons-of-food-medical-aid-to-Ukraine-refugees-in-Poland [in English].
13. ‘Saudi Arabia to give Poland medical equipment to help Ukrainian patients’ (2022). The First News, 23 May [online]. Available at: https://www.thefirstnews.com/article/saudi-arabia-to-give-poland-medical-equipment-to-help-ukrainian-patients-30549 [in English].
14. Hassan, R. (2022). ‘Saudi Arabia provides $10m in urgent aid to Ukrainians’, Arab News,13 April [online]. Available at: https://www.arabnews.com/node/2062336/saudi-arabia [in English].
15. Miller, A. D., Kurtzer, D. C. (2022). ‘Biden’s Brief Middle East Pivot Won’t Last’, Foreign Policy, 19 July [online]. Available at: https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/07/19/biden-middle-east-trip-saudi-israel-russia-ukraine-iran/ [in English].